I have two purposes for this:
- To have an offsite backup in case of a region wide problem with Amazon Web Services.
- To copy production data from a production billing account to a beta billing account.
Currently it does not appear that Amazon supports either of these two use cases out of the box.
I have seen mysqldump and xtrabackup (see form post) mentioned.
I have also seen a more complicated process (documented here)
- A new RDS server in the source billing account (prod) is spun up off a recent backup.
- A new EC2 instance is spun up that has access to the RDS server in step 1.
- mysqldump is used to make a backup of this database.
- Backup is copied to an offsite location (S3?).
- In a separate account and/or region, a fresh RDS server is spun up.
- Database dump is imported.
Tips and suggestions are appreciated.