Until now, I was doing my SQL Backups using USB Hard disk, and copying that to my local computer. After that, I went zipping and burning onto DVDs.
Now I want to push that on more professional and more robust level.
What kind of hardware is best for storing and backuping SQL databases ?
My environment looks like:
- two MS-SQL-Server 2008, One production database and other replicated for reporting
- My apps is not mission critical and I can afford my self down time even and for 20 hours.
- My main database is around 32GB when is in backup, others is around 10GB.
- I think that I do not need large and long historical data, two or tree snapshots should be OK for me.
Here are further questions:
- Should I looking for hardware with TAPES?
- Does NAS (network attached storage) provide a good solution ?
- If I go with NAS beside RAID, to what should I pay more attention?
- Which protocol is essential for NAS so SQL can do backups easily?
- Today's SHOHO NAS servers is pretty cheap and available, Should I avoid them ?
Any other suggestions is much appreciated.