Take the 2-minute tour ×
Database Administrators Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for database professionals who wish to improve their database skills and learn from others in the community. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've installed WAMP on my new Windows 8 machine and for some reason when I use PHPMyAdmin to import an sql file (it's only about 5mb), it takes several minutes before timing out. And then when I check I can see it's only imported a fraction of the tables.

I've tried other sql files and it's the same story. These same sql files import perfectly fine (and in a few couple of seconds) on my Windows 7 machine also running WAMP.

I've since uninstalled WAMP and tried XAMPP, and the problem still exists. Even just browsing the databases with PHPMyAdmin takes a long time between page loads.

I am guessing it's a problem with MySQL. Any suggestions would be helpful.

share|improve this question

migrated from stackoverflow.com Dec 22 '12 at 4:32

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

    
try changing localhost to 127.0.0.1 and see what happens –  MrTechie Dec 21 '12 at 23:44
    
I had already tried 127.0.0.1 –  PHPnoob Dec 22 '12 at 0:51
    
It may be something about your MySQL server configuration. Are you using MyISAM tables? If you do, try increasing the key buffer size (I don't know which is the equivalent variable for InnoDB tables). Check the MySQL reference for server optimization: dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/optimization.html –  Barranka Dec 22 '12 at 1:06

2 Answers 2

When MySQL is really slow on windows (not 30ms slower) is nearly always a matter of a forgotten localhost instead of 127.0.0.1 in settings or URL. Very few times it is due to a very slow fragmented hard drive (acting slower due to windows complex ACL and parallel processes using it). MySQL is slower in some benchmarks on windows but the difference is so small that cant change your experience.

share|improve this answer

I had the same problem some time ago. The problem, in my case, it was not the address but the IPV6. Try to disable it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.