I have a remote database running on an IAAS provider and I need to be able to execute joined queries from my local workstation. I am having trouble because when I attempt to create the link it is attempting to use named pipes for the connection.
I created a system DSN using the SQL Server Native Client 10 and fed it the IP, Database, User, and Password. Tested it and it was fine.
- Went to Linked Servers and Create New.
- Specified a name "MAIN"
- Selected SQL Server Native Client 10 in the combo box
- Entered SQL Server in Product Name Field
- Entered my DSN name in Data Source Field
- Entered SQLNCLI10 in Provider Name Field
- Entered my database name in the Catalog Field
- Went to the security options and specified my local to remote login pairing.
After clicking OK, I get an error that it can't find the server and it shows that it is attempting to use named pipes.
What should I do to correct this?