- All machines run Windows Server 2008 Enterprise
- SQL Server 2012 Standard (Primary)
- SQL Server 2012 Standard (Mirror)
- SQL Server 2012 Express (Witness)
Root issue: Our ASP.NET application is not “failing over” correctly, while our classic ASP application is.
Mirroring is currently configured with a witness and I’m get all green check marks inside of SSMS.
What I have tested.
- A manual failover works flawlessly. Both the classic asp and the ASP.NET application “fail over” to the mirror server without issues
- In an automatic failover situation (pull network cord out of Primary SQL server) the classic asp applications fails over correctly, but the ASP.NET application does not. We get a time out. I noticed inside SSMS that the mirror server does correctly become the “primary” server.
- There is nothing out of the ordinary in the SQL Error Logs when comparing manual & automatic failover.
Below is our connection strings for Classic ASP and for ASP.NET
Classic ASP (global.asa)
Application("DSN_STRING") = "Provider=SQLNCLI; Server=primary.corp.domain.com; Failover Partner=mirror.corp.domain.com; Database=MOD; Uid=XXXXXXX; Pwd=YYYYYY;"
add name="MOD" connectionString="Data Source=primary.corp.domain.com; Failover Partner=mirror.corp.domain.com;Initial Catalog=MOD; User ID=XXXXX;Password=YYYYYY;Connect Timeout=150; Min Pool Size=20;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/