Is there an economic way to license SQL Server standard edition on a test server?
Given the following environment:
- live: SQL Server 2012 Standard Edition
- test: SQL Server 2012 Developer edition
- dev: SQL Server 2012 Developer edition
The problem with this scenario is that a developer could code using a feature that works in developer edition, but is not available when deployed to the live server. The client would be the first to discover the problem!
- Host test database on live server?
- Doesn't give the live/test isolation I would like
- Uses live server resource (buffers, CPU, etc.)
- (Could disconnect test database when not in use to minimise this)
- Run a second database instance on the live server
- Still poor live/test isolation
- More processes using server RAM/CPU