I'd like to learn PL/SQL so I'm trying to install Oracle. I downloaded the 2 zip files and extracted to the same directory. I run the "setup.exe" file and the install GUI starts:
- In step 1 I enter my email address and un-check "I wish to receive security updates.
- In step 2 I choose "Skip software updates".
- In step 3 I choose "Create and configure a database".
- In step 4 I choose "Desktop class".
- In step 5 I choose "Use existing windows user" (they are a standard user, not admin).
- In step 6 is where it gets stuck.
- I leave the three paths to their default.
- I have tried three of the four "Database editions" (Enterprise, Standard, Personal).
- I tried both "Character sets" (Default, Unicode).
- I tried a few "Global database names" (oracleTest, orcl, orcl.domain.local)
- I entered the admin password and confirmed it
- I have tried with and without "Create as Container database" checked.
When I press "Next" on this step, this error message comes up:
[INS-08109] Unexpected error occurred while validating inputs at state 'quickInstallPage'.
Cause - No additional information available. Action - Contact Oracle Support Services or refer to the software manual. Summary - C:\Users\developer1\AppData\Local\Temp\OraInstall2014-02-06_04-18-11PM\ext\bin\SID_Queries.dll: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed
Are you sure you want to continue?
I press "Yes" and nothing happens.
Possibly useful information:
- this computer is on a domain.
- I installed JDK 7u51 x64. I also tried installing the x586 version (my computer is x64).
- When I say "No" to the prompt and Oracle closes, a few seconds later a popup comes up and says "Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working".
- I also have XAMPP (with MySQL) running.
- I might also have MS SQL running.
Do I have to install something else? Am I missing something? Any help is appreciated. Thanks,