I am going to begin transitioning several of our databases to FULL recovery from SIMPLE. I asked a question last week regarding deployment strategies and I have one additional question.
- Sunday (midnight) - Run FULL backup
- Monday-Saturday (midnight) - Run differentials
- Hourly - Transaction log backup
Are the differential backups basically eliminating the need for the transaction logs for that day?
So, if we have a catastrophic failure at 10pm on Tuesday, we would:
- Run tail log backup on affected DB(s)
- Restore FULL backup from Sunday night
- Restore DIFF backup from Monday night
- Restore using log chain from the day on Tuesday up to disaster time.
If this is the case, then could we simply remove the transaction log backups from Monday as part of the maintenance plan, since we have a differential from Monday night? Would it be smarter to keep them for redundancy in case the DIFF backup fails?