I have an active/Passive SQL Server 2008 cluster in production that I need to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 R2. I just want to make sure I understand all the steps before starting this in production.
- Run the SQL installer on the passive node and get through the setup files. Exit the installer and reboot. fail the cluster to the passive node.
- Run the installer on the active node and update the shared components and SQL Setup files. Exit the installer and reboot. Fail the cluster back.
- Run the installer on the passive node and select the Upgrade option.
- Reboot and patch (service pack, etc) until no new patches are available on the passive node.
- Fail the cluster to the passive node.
- Upgrade and patch the original active node.
- Fail the cluster back to the original Active node.
Did I miss anything? Are there any major issues I should be aware of?
I am only running the SQL instance and full text search. SSAS and SSRS are not installed.
I am using this KB as my guide - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191295.aspx