I have an EC2 server running SQL2008 R2.
- I opened the port 1433 and successfully tested with yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports.
- I have set the SQL Server to Accept Remote Connections.
- I have set the Dynamics Port to be 1433 on the TCP/IP dialog under the Configuration Manager.
- On Client Protocols I have Shared Memory 1st, TCP 2nd and Named Pipes 3rd.
- The server SQL Browser services is running
On the server I normally connect from SSMS using MACHINENAME\SQL2008
What is the right way to connect from my local machine? Is it "IP ADDRESS\SQL2008"?
I tried various ways and it does NOT work. So I must assume it's both the way I connect and some missing settings on the server. I get the following error:
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that the SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provide, error: 5-Invalid parameter(s) found) (Microsoft SQL Server, Errror: 87)
Thanks Mark. I was able to connect just by appending the ",1433" at the end.
So the right answer (at least for my problem) was MACHINENAME\SQL2008,1433
Thanks again Mark !!!