I'm currently setting up log shipping of a large DB (Approx 1.5TB) and am wondering what I can do about the log file.
As it stands, I want to do the following steps:
- Change DB to FULL recovery
- Take FULL backup (5-6 hours) on primary
- Restore FULL backup to secondary (leaving in NORECOVERY)
- Take DIFF backup on primary
- Restore DIFF backup to secondary (still in NORECOVERY)
- Initialize log shipping using 'The database is already initialized'
The issue is that while I am taking the full backup, the log file will fill up faster than the backup(s) can complete.
What options do I have to keep the log file from filling up? Can I just take log backups as normal during the FULL backups as the DIFF restore will cover any transactions that take place during that timeframe? Has anyone done this before with a DB of this size, any tips/tricks to make it easier?