Open that database in 2010, and do this:
- Click the External Data ribbon group
- Click the Access item
- Use the Browse button to locate the database from which you want to import the database
- Be SURE to select the first option (i.e. the "Import tables, blah blah" option)
- Click OK
- In the Import Objects dialog, select the tables you want to import. Be sure to review the settings in the Options button to see if you need any of those (chances are you do not).
- Click OK, and Access will import the selected objects to your new database
Now, close out the database and make a copy of it. Reopen the new database, and Compact it.
If you're still have troubles after that, then there is a good chance that you have troubles with the installation of Access/Office or Windows on your machine. Be sure that you've fully updated Office and Windows, and try again.
If you're still having troubles compacting, then you may need read this MSDN forum thread.