I have an installation of SQL Server 2012 Std Ed on Windows 2012 R2 running in a default instance, and an app that wants to connect to it using a named instance (can't be changed)
- ServerName -
- Alias required by app -
I've tried to create an alias as follows:
- Alias Name - .\crazyapp
- Port No - 1433
- Protocol - TCP/IP
- Server .
- checked TCP/IP protocol is enabled
- have started SQL browser (not needed, I believe)
- restarted SQL (several times)
- tried with the machine name instead of "."
- tried with no port number instead of 1433.
- banged head against wall
...all to no avail.
Is it possible to do this, if so, would some kind person tell me what I'm doing wrong.