I have an interesting issue on which Google has failed me.
I am working with medical records managed with Ingres SQL. The other day I wrote a simple query in Excel to pull all patient rows that have died in a set date range and output them as a report. This query works. I happened to notice (because of my date range) that I was missing a recent row. Upon further inspection I realized I am missing more rows, not just in this report.
Details of issue
When I query specifically for these missing rows (by selecting their specific patient ID from its column) they exist. When looking at Visual DBA at the table in which they reside and were just queried from successfully, they do not appear.
Similarly, these missing rows do not appear in the raw data pulled by my Excel query, whereas other rows meeting the same criteria do appear. I have looked for inconsistencies between rows that are showing up in Visual DBA and rows that are not. They are all consistent (null values, format, etc) and have differences only in value, not type. ie, last name is 'Jones' instead of 'Smith'.
Why are rows missing from Ingres Visual DBA (table 'x' let's say) but when queried specifically in Ingres Visual SQL from table 'x' they appear?
This is a serious issue for us as rows are missing from automatically generated medical reports and vital information could be missed.
When in the Object Manager in Visual DBA I navigate to my table in question (say
d1_17, which is sorted by ascending values of
xpid = '27245' is not there. When I query specifically in Visual SQL for
d1_17.xpid = '27245' it outputs the row correctly.
They are connected to same database. Excel and Visual DBA are also in sync (both missing the same rows). The discrepancy arises when I query specifically
d1_17.xpid = '27245' in Visual SQL and the row prints, and yet, when browsing in object manager, in
d1_17 in Visual DBA the row with
xpid = '27245' isn't there.
Every value in
d1_17.xpid is non-null. Other columns may have null values, but every row is a patient and every patient has an
xpid (patient ID).
While we are admins on the network for our database we unfortunately did not create it, our software team for our EHR GUI did that part as well.