I'm new to doing linked server and I have this error.
"The linked server has been created but failed a connection"
On the same virtual machine I have two SQL Server instances
- one 2000 (VMDEVCIAQ\NMP)
- one 2005 (VMDEVCIAQ\NMPUTIL).
My setup :
- The 2005 try to modify tables in the 2000.
- I enabled remote connection on both instance.
- I tested manually connecting to the instance of 2000 and it worked.
What I input in the form
- Linked server: NMP
- Provider : Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
- ProductName: SQLServer
- Data source : VMDEVCIAQ\NMP
In the security tab I set "Be made using this security context" with the tested login and password.
So any idea why this would fail ? Any pointer or doc would be appreciated.