I recently installed Oracle 11g R2 on a Windows 8.1 machine, but for some reason SQL Developer does not seem to launch easily. What specific steps do I need to take in order to launch a working SQL Developer instance?
Here are my steps so far (There are print screens in hyperlinks below because I do not have enough reputation points to embed the print screens in this posting.):
1.) I searched for SQL Developer in Windows 8 and clicked to launch the resulting entry for the program.
2.) The resulting dialog box then said it was searching for a named
SQLDEVELOPER.bat file, and when it could not find the
SQLDEVELOPER.bat file, it gave the following dialog box suggesting that it use a different
selecthome.bat file instead: http://s23.postimg.org/4nr1d1r8b/sql_developer_delete.jpg
3.) I hesitated to authorize what looks like a hard to un-do setting, so I looked in the windows file system and found the following items in the root directory of Sql Developer: http://s30.postimg.org/5vtk3k269/sql_developer_directory.jpg
Note that there is a
sqldeveloper.sh file in the directory. There is also a
sqldeveloper.exe file, but clicking on that file does not launch the program.
So what steps need to be taken in order to successfully launch Sql Developer?
I followed the advice of @SoleDBGuy and downloaded and installed a newer version of SQL Developer. But I am not yet able to make a database connection from it to validate that the new SQL Developer can work with my existing 11G R2 installation.
I validated that the 11G R2 installation is running and that I know the password by using the windows command line to connect by typing
sqlplus system/password, where password is the real password.
But I am not yet able to connect to the same 11G R2 instance with the same credentials through the new SQL Developer because the
xe listener is being rejected. I looked this up and it seems that the
xe listener is associated with the
express edition. This may be the problem as I installed the enterprise edition of Oracle 11G R2. I did not install the express edition.
So my next step is to try to determine what listener to use to connect to the enterprise edition, and to try replacing
xe with the name of the correct listener for the enterprise edition. If this works, then I will have validated a solution and resolved this question.
I was able to validate @SoleDBGuy's approach by creating a connection using
orcl as the
SID in the SQL Developer Add New Connection Wizard. Initially, the connection wizard was not connecting because the default listener is
ex, which is for the express edition. I installed the enterprise edition, so the
ex listener did not work and I had to use the
orcl edition instead.
Once I connected to the database, I then validated that it was the correct database by running the query
select tablespace_name from users_tablespaces;. When I saw the correct table spaces, I was able to validate @SoleDBGuy's approach and mark his answer as accepted.