After trying many different suggestions as found on the net, I'm still unable to establish a connection from the Workbench application to the server. Here is a brief list of things I tried:
1) Granting all privileges on . to 'root'@'%' ; (+flush privileges),
2) Creating a new user 'test'@'%' and granting all privileges (yes, it is the same as above, but had to try with someone different from root),
3) Create a user as 'test2'@'' with all privileges,
4) Turning off firewall in both server and my computer,
5) Updated the file /etc/my.cfg my adding a
bind-address = 0.0.0.0 line (there wasn't any such line, to begin with; note the location of this file which differs from what is presented in many posts; in my installation, there is no such a folder /etc/my.cfg/...),
The error I get is always that cannot establish a connection (with the 4 steps to check; obviously, I checked them all and it should work).
I have Workbench installed on Windows 10 and I'm using the standard MySQL included in the Oracle Linux 7 installation ISO.
Could anyone suggest additional checks to be made and to find what the issue is?