When using Availability Groups, is it possible to simply just configure all clients/applications to connect to the database(s) by using the cluster name/IP instead of the AG listener for the AG that the database resides in?
If it is possible, would it be advised against?
- 3 node cluster with cluster name of "SQLCLUSTER2014" and cluster IP of 10.0.1.10
- 2 nodes located at main site, one node off site at a DR site
- 2 AG's, with listeners called "AG1_LISTENER" and "AG2_LISTENER"
- Create a DNS A record for "SQLCLUSTER" that points to 10.0.1.10 (the cluster IP)
- Configure all clients/application to point to "SQLCLUSTER" in their connection string
So when you upgrade to SQL 2016 and move your databases to the new server, you can just point your A record to the new cluster IP and not have to change connection strings in applications.
It seems like this would be a better setup because it allows you to utilize DNS CNAME's or A records to mask server moves, which I've done to great success on systems that don't use AG's.
Is there any reason not to do this? Any potential issues reaching the DR site if the 2 main nodes go offline?