We need to restore a database from a 7-Gb mysqldump file to a RDS Amazon instance. The full restore takes between 3 and 4 hours (probably because of network latency since the dump has to reside on a EC2), and it's too long for us. For reference, a restore to a local mysqld would take less than 30 minutes.
Is there a Amazon-related solution that would allow us to reduce the import time?
Questions about optimizing a mysqldump restore time have been asked before, such as:
- Speeding up mysqldump / reload
- MySQL any way to import a huge (32 GB) sql dump faster?
- Reasonable times for a mysqldump restore?
- MySQL settings useful to speed up a mysqldump import
However, this question is different because relates to a RDS instance, so:
- Additional constraints are applied, for instance some MySQL variables (e.g.
innodb_doublewrite) cannot be changed to improve performances
- There may be some Amazon-native solution or product that would solve this issue easily and nicely