I have a question over this presentation of data which I do not know the name of. A multiplication table presents

  • two sets which may or may the identical, in the case they are [1..12]
  • a function computed over those sets.
  • the result in a grid over input.

What would we call that? Does it have a name?

Multiplication table

  • 1
    a (pivoted) cartesian product? – ypercubeᵀᴹ Dec 27 '16 at 18:05
  • I wonder why the numbers go up to 12. Is this a US/UK thing? I should probably ask at the math Education site. – ypercubeᵀᴹ Jan 11 '17 at 20:41
  • We went up to 12 in school. Not sure if that's USA-specific. – Evan Carroll Jan 11 '17 at 20:44
  • They do the same in the UK. I wonder why, we only need up to 9. – ypercubeᵀᴹ Jan 11 '17 at 20:46
  • I'm going to guess it has something to do with a foot having 12 inches? But I could be totally off. – Evan Carroll Jan 11 '17 at 20:48

No consensus on a name

There doesn't seem to be a concrete name for this in any nomenclature. We can see in this thread for the commit fest for PostgreSQL's \crosstabview. These alternative names suggested:

  • gridview
  • matrixview
  • sheetview

It's a simple pivot but the argument is that SQL, the spec, doesn't permit this kind of pivot (queries that produce result sets with an undeterministic schema -- here the row count of input rows can change the amount of columns)

So, I'll go with @ypercubeᵀᴹ's suggestion

a (pivoted) cartesian product?

Good as any other.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.