I have a field to store some data, the field is declared as
varchar(max). To my understanding this should be storing
2^31 - 1 characters but when I enter some content over 8000 chars it cuts the rest off.
I have verified that all the data is included in my update statement and the query looks fine everywhere else but when I select the data back out it has been cut off.
The data is truncated when I display it on my website and also when I use SSMS to
select content from table.
select DATALENGTH (content) from table comes back as 8000.
I set the data using this:
update table set content = 'my long content' where id = 1. The content does have lots of HTML in but I can't see that causing issues. The only thing I can see that I am doing is replacing all
'' as this is user entered content (can't remember why I did that now).
I did manage to get the content to enter correctly by removing all single quotes in the content so I think something odd is going on with my data rather than the database.
Should I be doing something special with the query to use a
Using: SQL Server 2008 (10.50) 64 bit.