I am interested in the terminology for the characters you can put around table names, column names, etc. when referencing them in a query. A name that in Microsoft SQL Server would be for []s and in MySQL would be for ``s or possibly ""s.

I am unable to find a generic term for them anywhere and am wondering if one exists.

2 Answers 2


"I think" this is what you are referring to:

Delimited Identifiers


T-SQL Naming Conventions


  • 2
    For example, if an object's (table, column, etc) delimited identifier is "super_table", then the identifier body is super_table, and the delimiters are " and " (these are SQL standard). In SQL Server, the same object can also be identified by the delimited identifier [super_table] where the delimiters are [ and ]. In MySQL, it could also be identified by `super_table`, where the delimiters are ` and `. Oct 11, 2017 at 16:13

The characters themselves are called delimiters. The object you are referencing is the identifier.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.