I had a few questions around deployment best practices and how folks are using mongodb today. Feel free to add any other comments you can think off.
- No of databases per mongod instance. Is the recommendation to create multiple databases in a single mongod instance or to run many mongod's on the same box for the different DBs. Also how are folks running doing this for dev and prod envs?
- Ideal number of shards per cluster. How does one decide the ideal number?
- Recommended replicaset. 3 or more and how does one decide?
- Best way to backup and restore. Is it to use mongodump or is something else? Also do you usually do it on the cluster/instance level vs database level?
- Cloning of databases or clusters. Does anyone actively clone and do you clone a db or the whole cluster/instance?