Our clients are insisting that we now encrypt ALL their SQL Server data at rest, which must include tempdb. I think I have the following options available –
- Bitlocker entire drive(s)
- TDE (but the cost of Enterprise edition breaks our support model for these clients!)
- Always-Encrypted (but more a GDPR/Personal information solution, not for whole databases) – and cannot then “wildchar” search these fields, which is a requirement.
- EFS the User databases location on disk
- Some 3rd party application that does SQL Server encryption
Any recommendations appreciated (for SQL Server 2016 STANDARD edition only)