One of my DBAs is trying to look at the database properties of a database by right clicking and selecting
properties and is getting the following error:
Cannot show requested dialog. (SqlMgmt)
An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)
Cannot execute as the database principal because the principal "guest" does not exist, this type of principal cannot be impersonated, or you do not have permission. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15517)
Points of interest:
- The guest account has been disabled (no
- The DBA is a member of
db_owneron the database, but not
sysadminon the instance.
- He has this permission through a role, but does not have a user directly in the instance let alone the database.
- This is a windows authenticated login.
- I tried creating a SQL Id and testing but couldn't replicate.
- The version of the instance is SQL Server 2016 (SP1) - 13.0.4001.0 (X64)
- On Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard 6.3
What I don't understand is why he would be impersonating anything since he is a member of db_owner, particularly when trying to open the properties dialog.
I've checked here: Cannot execute as the database principal because the principal “guest” does not exist but the service account running the named account has sysadmin access so this shouldn't be a problem.