I would like to move several databases from one Microsoft SQL Server instance (2014) to another instance (2016) while still in production. Are there any obvious caveats or holes in my plan?
1) Take a full back up of each database that I want to move
2) Restore databases to the new instance
3) Sometime in the middle of the night switch each source database to single user mode.
4) Take a last final transaction log backup
5) Restore transaction log backup to the new instance databases
6) Turn off old instance and point relevant resources at the new instance
Any advice, caveats, etc.