Can any of the MS FileStream experts help me on below:
I do have the 5 App DBs with FileStream enabled. Current the size of **C: for FileStream Blob data is 5 TB**
All the DBs have below drive format:
Data Drive - A:
Log Drive - B:
FileStream Drive - C:
Now we are in process of enabling the Encrypting File System and part of that is to Disable current FileStream Drive C: and create a new D: and point the FileStream data to D: by restoring a full backup.
Can I point new D: for FileStream WITH MOVE OPTION , will that work , like we change it for the .mdf and .ldf files ? Please correct me with exact process.
Please guide me on below steps:
- STOP SQL Services
- Change C: name to D:
- Create a new drive as C:
- Enable Encrypting File System (EFS) on current new C:
- Restore Full Backup WITH MOVE OPTION for FileStream pointed to new C:
Will the above plan work ? Should I enable the EFS first then restore the DB (or) First restore the DB and then enable the EFS ??
Kindly help me on below key questions as per my above thinking :
- How to copy the FileStream data from C: (Old) --> C: (New)
- Is renaming existing drive after stopping SQL Services Ok ? How to rename FileStream drive from existing name C:
- Can we backup only FileSream Data ? Not the structured data ? Possible ?
- How to validate the Name change of C: and the data is accurate as of the Original C: before the name change ?
Also one more way of thinking:
**Cloning complete **C:****
STOP ALL DB Services
SQL Server startup change to Manual
Change the new Cloned Drive letter name to C:
Start DB Servers
Will this process work ? Kindly advise.
Like we can copy the data file after stopping the SQL Services , can we copy FileSream data to new location after STOPPING DB Services ?