I have tried to find a solution guys, and I am guessing that someone has met this before. But I cannot get hits down below 5000... most of which don't match my question.
Using MySQL 5.6 - windows (both XP and Win7 - same issue)
I have a utf8 mysql schema with the following structure (field names removed) The schema was built just using standard tool - I did not choose compression nor anything else.
f1 varchar(5) f2 varchar(255) f3 varchar(255) f4 varchar(255) f5 varchar(255) f6 datetime f7 datetime f8 longtext f9 varchar(255) f10 varchar(255) f11 longtext f12 varchar(255) f13 varchar(255) f14 varchar(255) f15 longtext f16 longtext f17 longtext f18 longtext f19 longtext f20 longtext f21 longtext f22 longtext f23 varchar(255) f24 varchar(255) f25 varchar(255) f26 longtext f27 longtext f28 varchar(255) f29 varchar(255) f30 longtext f31 longtext f32 longtext f33 longtext f34 longtext f35 longtext f36 longtext f37 longtext f38 longtext f39 datetime f40 datetime
This works fine, until I come to a record with a lot of text in a lot of the longtext fields. Say I have inserted values into 6 of the longtext fields, but when I try to paste in values into (say) the 7th, I get the 1118 Error.
Now, I am a bit puzzled as this data is going into a text field which should not contribute to the row length as it is stored outside the row (barring the 12 bytes used to define the entry). Using my best guess for the row length of the structure above it comes to only 11009 bytes (give or take), well within the 64K limit.
This is proving frustrating as I can't really understand why it fails. I could break the table down into multiple 1-to-1s, but that seems hackneyed, and I could take out the text fields and create a related table with foreign key and variable name and the associated text (using row modelling for this element) - but again, that is just rod for my back later.