I am looking for advice on managing backups using Veeam and optimizing storage space for backups.
We have about 2TB across 20 DB
My current backups are
Image Level (Veeam)
- Replication to DR every 1hr (excluding native backup volume)
- Backup to DR nightly (excluding native backup volume) (different disk array to replications), 45D, 4W, 12M, 7Y retention
- Push to offsite repository nightly 7D
- Nightly backup to local server (different re disk array), 1D Retention
- 15 min transaction log backups to same folder as nightly
- 10min FTP push native SQL backup to DR with 7D retention
I am pretty sure there is some redundant duplication here, I have been looking into Veeam and it looks like it can handle the transaction log backups as well. If this is the case, are native backups still required? I would feel uneasy not having them but that could just be my lack of knowledge in that side of Veeam. Or is there something else that stands out that i should change?
- Our RPO is 30 minutes and our RTO is 2 hours