Although there are similar questions and topics, I can't find a solution that currently works.
I specifically wrote remotely manage because I'd like to use my home computer's PhpMyAdmin to directly connect to the RDS instance and keep its 'public accessibility' to private.
What I've done so far:
- installed PhpMyAdmin on my home computer (mac osx) and got it working
- added an inbound rule for the security group used by the RDS (rule: my.home.network's.ipv4/32, port 3306)
configured my mac's phpmyadmin
conf.inc.phpaccording to this suggestion. I've never done SSH tunneling, but the idea seems safer than opening 3306 to the public. So I've set it up accordingly, but these are the PhpMyAdmin errors I get:
- Cannot log in to the MySQL server
- mysqli_real_connect(): MySQL server has gone away
- mysqli_real_connect(): Error while reading greeting packet. PID=xxxx
- mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/2006): MySQL server has gone away
Any ideas what I'm missing/doing wrong? Also, do I need to have MySQL at all installed on the mac? I assumed I didn't need it since I'd be using the remote one, but I've installed it anyway, and tried both with and without it. Same errors.