Below is my SQL Server details:
- SQL Server 2014 Enterprise SP2 GDR with Availability Group configured.
- List item
NOTE: The Databases are FileStream Enabled.
Below are the series of actions I did recently and need your help to understand and correct myself:
- Enabled TDE (Structured Data .mdf & .ldf)
- Enabled Encryption File System (EFS) for Unstructured data
- After both the configurations , now the Database is on TDE Enabled and EFS Enabled in AOAG .
- I took a backup of the Database (From what I have learnt post TDE & EFS the backup of the Database is encrypted as well using Database Encryption Key Algorith . Is this point correct ?)
- I removed the Database from AOAG. Later deleted the database from all AG Replicas and restored it using encrypted file taken above and joined them to AG again.
My Actual question is :
- Post taking a backup of the database by using Encrypted file above and restoring it on the same server , the database is now freed from both TDE & EFS , Can some explain me what happened here ?
- Why the Database is not encrypted when I used a encrypted Database Backup file !
- Does the backup file post restoration gives decrypted files automatically by default behavior ?
Current the Is_encrypted value for the database is now "1" earlier before retore it was "3".
How can I make sure (or) is there way at all when I restore a encrypted backup I can see the database is encrypted as well ? Is my thinking wrong , kindly share some insights on this point?