I am in the process of migrating an AWS RDS SQL Server to another instance of AWS RDS SQL Server with lesser storage. AWS folks suggested using the native backup/restore option instead of DMS.
Steps I am intending to execute are:
- Drop a table ( data from this table is backed up on S3)
- Replace the table with a new table that stores data for 30 days (using SP)
- Shrink the DB (Any issues in this step?)
- Take a full backup
- restore it to new Azure instance
- When ready for the cut over take a differential backup
- restore the differential back up
- point the applications to the new server.
Are there any issues with the shrink operation? What tests should I conduct after the migration? I'd appreciate if you could share any best practices and know issues.