We're trying to define a backup policy. We were going to apply following:
- Weekly full backup, retained for 30 days.
- Nightly differential backups, retained for 7 days
But we're also exploring other option - Transaction Log backups, and Azure backup(which is offering a default of 2 hours)
Am I right in saying that that the differential backup would get us to the last differential backup, and then we can use log backups to get closer to where we want to recover from?
So, backups will be as below:
- Sunday 1am- Full backup.
- Monday 1am - differential
- Tuesday 1am - differential
- Wednesday 1am - differential
Every 2 hours since Wednesday Inc - Log Backups.
Lets say Disaster hits at Wednesday mid day!
Recover the differential , which gets us to Wednesday at 1am... Then we use Log backups to get us to before the disaster struck.
Is that the correct distinction between the types?