From time to time (sometimes days apart, sometimes several times a day) users of a multi-user Access front-end, which has ODBC connections to a SQL Server back-end, see a variety of problems. Most users have Access Runtime, but a few use full Access. At most 15 users will be active at any one time, and their activity is mostly retrieve/amend/save, working on one record (and associated sub-records) at a time, usually for a minute or two.
The problems can be any of:
- an Access form has #Error in all its bound fields.
- an Access form has #Name? in all its bound fields.
- an Access form has #Field! in all its bound fields.
- front-end error handler reports "[ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]General network error
- front-end error handler reports "[ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]Communication link failure
Sometimes (particularly with the first 3 types) the errors can be eliminated for a while by restarting the instance. I'm not a DBA, but I am the closest that the company has. Any suggestions for possible solutions, or at least some informed diagnostic tactics? TIA.