OK, so I have:
- 500 GB DW
- 5 GB in smaller DBs
- 220 GB TempDB
- 350 GB in Log files.
My machine is Fujitsu Primergy 64 cores (with HT) and 192 GB RAM.
I have several IO locations:
- 540 GB in-server HDD 15k RAID10
- 1 TB HDD 15k RAID10 on SAN (separete controller)
- 2 TB HDD 15k RAID10 on SAN (same controlller as below)
- 800GB SSD RAID10 on SAN (same controller as above)
Data warehouse has 2 fact tables that are absolutely crucial and quite large.
Now i want to organize DB into several Filegroups and put them on different drives. Filegroups I'm thinking of:
- FILEGROUP1: for 1st crucial Fact Table
- FILEGROUP2: for 2nd crucial Fact Table
- FILEGROUP3: for tempDB
- FILEGROUP4: for dimensions data
- FILEGROUP5: for the rest of facts data
- FILEGROUP6: for dimensions indexes
- FILEGROUP7: for the rest of facts indexes
- FILEGROUP8: for 1 log file of one smaller DB (its in full-recovery and its quite large)
- FILEGROUP9: for the rest of log files
- FILEGROUP10: for source tables
- FILEGROUP11: others
How should I organize them across available drives? I was thinking about sth like:
- 800 GB SSD: FILEGROUPS 1-3
- 2 TB RAID10: FILEGROUPS 5+7+8
- 1 TB RAID10: FILEGROUPS 4+6+10+11
- 540 GB in-server: FILEGROUP 9
I know that having multiple filegroups on the same drive is pointless regarding performance, but in future i could actually add some more drives, so i want to separate them now.
Also - how much files per filegroups should i create? Considering 1 or 2. Except TempDB where im going for 4.
Any thoughts? Thx in advance!