I have been reading up on Data Warehousing and its purpose. The main purpose seems to be to track historical data and whatever changes may have occurred over time.
The DW book I am reading gives a number of reasons for using a DW schema...
1) Normalized schema may have 1000's of tables
2) Naming conventions may not be enforced
3) Data may be in multiple databases
4) Data quality issues
5) Historical data requirements
I am now working on a project where it has been suggested to me to use DW schema. However, none of the above 5 reasons apply to my situation.
1) Data is in region of 10 tables
2) Columns are named correctly 3) All data is in a single database
4) No reported Data Quality issues
5) No requirements for historical data
So, is tracking historical data the main reason to use DW?