I have an existing database with 70%+ data in one table with a varbinary column. As the database keep growing (takes longer and longer to backup and restore) I think it may be beneficial to enable filestream so we can separate the relatively stable binary files from the rest of the database.
If anyone can comment on my plan:
- Enable the Filestream feature on the SQL Server.
- Attach a network share (for storing the filestream data) to the server
- Create a filestream file group for the database.
- Create a table ("file2") that is identical to the existing table ("file") with an additional ROWGUIDCOL column in the Filestream file group.
- Insert existing data from "file" to "file2".
- Truncate the old table "file".
- Delete the old table "file".
- Rename the table "file2" to "file" so existing application continue to work.
- (Optional) shrink database then reindex