I'm trying to get data to a new slave box from my new master (previously the slave).
I've tried the steps already and it worked previously. Now when I run the following command:
pg_basebackup -h masterhost -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.3/main -U rep -v -P -X stream
Sometimes when I run this command, nothing is logged. Other times I receive: "could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer". I can see this process running on the master:
postgres: wal sender process rep slavehost(60899) sending backup "pg_basebackup base backup"
- I'm able to scp from one box to another at 100MB/s
- I've set up the snakeoil certs on both boxes
- It rejects invalid passwords
- When I kill the process on the slave, I get "pg_basebackup: could not initiate base backup: FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command"
- There is no additional load on either box when I run this command
- The /var/lib/postgresql/9.3/main dir on the slave is owned by postgres and is empty
- The DB is ~60GB
- Eventually the "wal sender process" on the master ends but nothing seems to happen
- I can psql to the master box from the slave using a non-replication user
- Both boxes are Ubuntu 14.04 running PG 9.3.6
listen_addresses = '*' hot_standby = on default_statistics_target = 50 maintenance_work_mem = 1GB constraint_exclusion = on checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9 effective_cache_size = 22GB work_mem = 192MB checkpoint_segments = 16 shared_buffers = 7680MB max_connections = 160 log_min_duration_statement = 80 log_temp_files = 0
Master has the same but also:
wal_buffers = 8MB checkpoint_segments = 16 wal_keep_segments = 128 wal_level = 'hot_standby' archive_mode = on archive_command = 'cd .' max_wal_senders = 2 vacuum_defer_cleanup_age = 100000 ssl_renegotiation_limit = 0