I do this frequently but all clients have this fault:
I added a new column to a table using a SQL statement, which causes the column to be created and added to every publication that uses this table.
Now I create values by using an update statement.
The column and the values are properly replicated from server to server, but all clients based on Express only get the field but no value.
The log shows successfully updates of the right number of table rows, but it needs little time as if nothing is transferred.
Changes that were made on the client are successfully replicated up to the server.
Also I deleted some unnecessary columns and then recreated the new column, same here.
I use SQL Server 2008 R2 with merge replication, no filters. The column limit is 246 columns, but I use 112 at the moment. Reproducing the error fails on a copy of the database, recreating the abonnements (subscriptions) is not an option for me.
Edit: Checked the last created columns and found this additional info. I added 4 columns earlier that are not in use yet. 2 of them have the same issue.