Hot answers tagged

3

SqlPackage follows a state-based database deployment paradigm. That means you define a source (Source.dacpac, which you derived from a database named "Accounts") you define the target (which you defined as a database named "Shop") SqlPackage is responsible for identifying the differences (this is what you see in the DeployReport step) ...


2

The schema compare UI gets a little mixed up in the face of multiple changes like this sometimes. You should use the "Generate Script" button to see what actual changes will be made at runtime. Generally, you want your test run to be as similar as possible to how you'll really deploy the changes. In your case, the combination that's causing ...


2

I'm not sure if either of those installers also install sqlcmd. Microsoft has shifted from "everything bundled together" types of installs to more modular installs. I normally suggest explicitly installing it via the Command Line Utilities installer if you need it. Some things (like the full SQL Server database engine) still include sqlcmd as part ...


1

You can simply download SQLCmd through the following link (for x64) and this one (for x86). If your client is on linux you may want to check that documentation. You just need Windows Installer 5 and Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server as pre-requisites. Reference


1

Have you tried this? CREATE VIEW dbo.VW_SOMEVIEW AS SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY ( [$(LinkedServer)] /*we need the [] brachets to make this parse ok in VS*/ ,'SELECT SESSION_NAME,SESSION_ROWS,ACTUAL_START FROM DATABASE2.dbo.TABLE2 (NOLOCK) WHERE SUBJECT_AREA = ''XYZ'' ORDER BY ACTUAL_START' )


1

Still a problem. I was using VS 2019, SSDT installed. My solution was to separately download and install Visual Studio Tools for Applications (VSTA) for VS 2019. In the visual studio installer, there must be over 1K different components (on the individual components tab), but VSTA isn't listed. The VSTA editor is the one that's invoked upon clicking edit ...


1

I was having this error (and pulling my hair out) -- even though I didn't have any rows in the operation_message view, there was a row in [catalog].[operations]. I noticed server_name was the old name of the machine. For the most recent successful deployment in [catalog].[operations], the server_name was the current name of the machine. I also noticed both ...


Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible