- 2 Availability Groups
- 2 Replicas on Synchronous Commits.
- 1 Replica on Asynchronous Commit.
- Automatic Failover configured for the two replicas on Synchronous Commits.
- Manual Failover configured for the single replica on Asynchronous Commit.
- ESX Server for the primary replica went down.
- Automatic failover didn't happen.
Manual forced failover was performed using the command:
ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP AccountsAG FORCE_FAILOVER_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS;
This resulted in a lot of data loss.
- What am I missing here ?
- Why did the data loss happen? My understanding is that since two replicas was on synchronous commit, there would be no data loss when either one of them goes down.
- Is it the data in the Log transactions that was lost. Would periodic log shrink prevented this data loss ?